Saturday, October 27, 2007

She Inspires Me

I am very happy today to be able to take myself out of my own head long enough to tell you about one of my favorite artists in recent memory, and most specifically to mention that she's begun a blog of her own--do check her out. I first learned of Rima and her wonderful world when she posted on a message board on the Sur La Lune fairy tale site (another enchanting place to get lost in when you have some time). When you visit Rima's blog you can find links to her web site, other places you can see her amazing work, and more.

I adore Rima's art, and am fascinated by her inner world. I first encountered her during a difficult period in my own life: widowhood was still new then, and still stung; I'd just moved my family to another state where I knew no one, had no prospects, and had managed, I was convinced at the time, to make a real mess of things. Rima's images reminded me of how magic can still persist, even in the unlikeliest of places; if I had to analyze my response I'd say it has something to do with the way she interprets the mythic, manifests something concrete out of the imagination. But this is an instance when I prefer the pleasures of enjoyment to the work of analysis. This morning, looking at her new work, and at her old work again, I am reminded once more of how it feels to live in the world when you're open to possibility. I bought a few of her prints last year and enjoy them as much today as when they first came into my home. What can I say? I'm a big fan. I hope you'll all become fans, too. Because I know for sure that now, there's nothing I'd rather do on this gloomy and atmospheric autumn day than hole up in my study and let my words make some magic of their own. And I can't think of any higher praise for an artist, than that her work sets you happily off in pursuit of your own.

No comments: